American Truck Simulator is a semi-trailer truck driving simulator and logistics management game developed and published digitally by SCS Software for the PC, Mac, and Linux on February 2, 2016. It also received a retail release in Europe sometime after.
A spin-off of the Euro Truck Simulator series, and the sibling to Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator brings the series' driving simulation and trucking company management to the United States of America (which was previously the setting to the studio's earlier 18 Wheels of Steel series). Much of the gameplay and interface remain the same, as players can customize the game's simulation aspects, purchase and customize their own trucks and trucking business, and improve their reputation to receive better-paying deliveries.
The game was originally released with the West Coast state of California as the sole locale (with Nevada as free day-one DLC) and two trucks (the Kenworth T680 and the Peterbilt 579). Additional states, as well as additional cargo types and truck accessories, were periodically added as expansions and DLC for sale. Similar to Euro Truck Simulator 2, the game has received numerous post-release updates, including revamped locales, additional truck models, gameplay improvements, and updates to the user interface.
When SCS started development on American Truck simulator, there was a small team of 4 people working on it. Due to the fact, they decided to to scale the map smaller than the map in Euro Truck Simulator 2. Now that game has successfully launched, SCS is continuing development with a larger team and listening to customer feed back. On June 23, 2016, SCS announced that they where working on scaling up the map from 1:35 to 1:20. (Same scale as Euro Truck Simulator 2) The recasle was released as part of the 1.5 game update on December 12, 2016.
- Nevada: was released as Free day 1 DLC when the game launched. It added 10 new cities to travel to.
- Arizona: was released as free DLC on June 6, 2016. It added 15 new cities to travel to.
- New Mexico: Released on November 9, 2017, New Mexico is the first paid DLC expansion for ATS. Adding 14 major cities, including Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Roswell
- Oregon: Released on October 4, 2018, Oregon is the 2nd paid DLC expansion for ATS. Adding 14 major cities, including Portland, Salem, and Eugene.
- Washington: Released on June 11, 2019, Washington is the 3rd paid DLC expansion for ATS. Adding 16 major cities, including Seattle, Spokane and Tacoma.
- Utah: Released on November 7, 2019, Utah is the 4th paid DLC expansion for ATS. Adding 10 major cities, including Salt Lake City, St. George and Moab.
- Idaho: Released on July 16, 2020, Idaho is the 5th paid DLC expansion for ATS. Adding 11 major cities, including Boise, Coeur d'Alene and Idaho Falls.
- Colorado: Released on November 12, 2020, Colorado is the 6th paid DLC expansion for ATS. Adding 13 major cities, including Denver and Colorado Springs.
- Wyoming: Released on September 7, 2021, Wyoming is the 7 paid DLC for ATS. Adding 10 major cities, including Cheyenne and Laramie.
- Texas: (In development)
- Wheel Tuning Pack: In the 1.2 update, SCS made wheels more customizable. They also released the Wheel Tuning Pack DLC to add even more options. The DLC was released on April 13, 2016 for $2.99 USD. A video of what's included can be seen here.
- Steering Creations Pack: In the 1.4 update, SCS made the truck's steering wheels adjustable. In doing so, it separated the steering wheel models from the rest of the interior model, which allows different steering wheels to be selected. SCS partnered with Steering Creations Inc (SCI) and modeled some of their aftermarket steering wheels for ATS. On September 14, 2016 SCS released the DLC, which includes 20 new steering wheels. for $2.99 USD. A video of what's included can be seen here.
As part of the 1.28 update, released on August 17, 2017, 3 more steering wheels where added.
- Heavy Cargo Pack: The Heavy Cargo Pack was released on June 7, 2017. It adds a new trailer that's designed for heavy haul cargo. There are 2 different trailer configurations. 1 with 2 articulation points, and 1 with 3 articulation points. There are 9 new cargo types ranging from 25 tons to 55 tons. The trailer for the DLC can bee seen here.
- Special Transport Pack: Released on November 7, 2018, the Special Cargo Pack takes the Heavy Cargo pack to the next level, with even larger and heavier loads. The loads are so large that they require specific routes, as well as pilot cars front and rear, to help control traffic.
- Forest Machinery: Released on June 11, 2019, the Forest Machinery cargo pack adds 8 new cargo loads, (6 standard, and 2 heavy haul) 2 new headache rack variations for each truck, and a hanging chainsaw cabin toy.
- Added official multiplayer support - Convoy
- Time and weather adjustments in photo mode
- Quick Travel
- New icons in the map legend
Added the International LT
- New visual lighting system
- An overall update to road signage
- New service signs added to Colorado, Idaho, Utah, and Washington
- New fast food brands introduced to several other locations outside of CO
- New viewpoints in New Mexico & Oregon DLC's
- New 4x2, 8x4, and 8x6 chassis
- Western Star 49X update including sleeper variants, set-back configurations, and new customizations
- Full-text city/company search in the job selection screen
- Improved vehicle adjustment menu (F4)
- New Viewpoints in Washington and Utah DLCs
- Lowboy trailers (ownable, including articulated ones)
- Viewpoint improvements (replayability, skip, map status, fade-out)
- Sound updates and improvements (turbo slider, sound positioning, cabin spatial mixing, sound distribution to accessories)
- Trailer browser & lister shows all valid cargo variants
- Experimental transmission input shaft emulation and clutch brake support (g_clutch_brake)
- Las Vegas city revamped (I-515/I-11 interstate bypass + the whole city switched to the template road system)
- US-191 road implemented
- UT-56 road implemented + reskin of a little stretch of US-93 around Panaca settlement
- CA-111 - new truckstop added
- El Centro revamped
- New company in Logan, UT (Plaster & Sons)
- Reworked all truck stop gas pumps to be more realistic. More realistic dimensions and the logic of how they work
- NM Shiprock redesigned + piece of US-491
- Various map fixes
- Automatic transmission improved (shifting points, adaptive modes)
- Las Vegas: New ambulance and fire trucks
- Fixed steering deadzone
- (9-30-20) Added the Western Star 49X
- Visual improvement - procedural ambient occlusion generation (SSAO)
- Route Advisor redesigned
- Navigation ETA to the next waypoint in route advisor and in world map
- Tobii eye-tracking presets
- RGB color picker redesigned
- Added RGB, HSV and HEX inputs
- User defined color presets
- Update to FMOD 2.01.01
- Fixed the retarder sound when the engine is off
- AI - exclusion of gear-shifts for trains and electric vehicles
- FMOD implementation with all existing sounds and few improvements
- Openable windows on all trucks
- AI movement and sound behavior improved (featuring FMOD)
- Walking camera in truck or trailer configuration screen (plus new garage scene)
- Added technical inspection of vehicles on mandatory weigh stations (illegal trailer, damaged vehicle).
- Added progressive fines.
- Colour Feedback support for ASUS ROG Strix
TOBII EYE TRACKING
- Eye-tracking pause key function fixed
- Automatic eye-tracking pause while the game is paused/in UI
- Settings hotkey visibility in UI
- Ingame sounds completely reimplemented for FMOD
- Engine power range data (instead of boost value)
- Exhaust gas temp gauge animation
- AI data tweak (engine power instead of torque and gearbox, vehicle_mass override for trailers)
- Santa Cruz (CA) revamped
- Flagstaff (AZ) revamped
- California speed limit improvements
- Oregon and New Mexico speed limit and general sign improvements
- New Special Transport routes (Utah DLC required)
- Grain hopper trailer (ownable)
- Bulk feed trailer (ownable)
- Frac-tank trailer
- (12-12-2019) Added the International LoneStar
- Avoid pins for GPS navigation
- New AI vehicles + all police paint jobs corrected
- Hired Drivers / Trucks / Trailer visible on manager map
- DirectX 11 full support (DirectX 9 removed)
- Chinese and other non-Latin character input (IME)
- Anti-aliasing improvements (SMAA, electric-wires)
- New loading screens
- Sun profile changes (HDR)
- License plate changes for AI (data-driven types, background texture data)
- Dashboard display UI elements (digital gauges, fuel consumption bar)
- Map editor history (undo/redo)
- Continuous selection of nodes
Change log video
- GPS Voice navigation
- Use your own purchased trailers in External Contracts (WoTR)
- Online garage purchase
- Emergency refuelling service
- Input improvements (Steam controller support, Tobii eye tracker support, controller hotplug support, better FF on Linux)
- Razer Chroma support (RGB)
- New options: truck stability, truck suspension, dual localization of names in map
- Faster job generation for hired drivers
- Lots of new drivers to hire
- Experimental DX11 support
- Curve item (new editor item)
- Walker/mover item improvement
- Multiple LODs for models
- Modded trucks support (in-game function)
- Traffic data improvement
- Vehicle data improvement (COG, wipers, transmission names, bracers sound)
- Randomized cargo model (eg. container color)
- Added purchasable and customizable Log trailer
- Tonopah city refreshed
- Another segment of OR-140 (Oregon DLC required)
- Timezone areas fixed - Malheur county, OR (Oregon DLC required)
- Numerous little map fixes and world polish added
- Added the ability to purchase turnpike doubles (Nevada only)
- Added road closures and detours to the random road events
- Added OR-140 road (Oregon DLC required)
- Added Steam Cloud support
- Reusable truck and trailer configuration templates
- Physics improvements (suspension, damping, braking, cogs)
- Rain drops behavior on glass improved
- Music shuffling
- Country/ state name localization settings
- g_disable_beacons (0/1/2) - for people that have issue with blinking lights
- Various customization options
- Added the Volvo VNL 300, 730 and 780
- Trailer ownership (Players can now purchase and customize their own trailers)
- Major UI changes (Main menu, Company Management screens, Dealerships, etc.)
- Job filters redesign
- Some of the old trailers discarded and redesigned
- Power/airlines on AI trucks added (optional)
- Rendering improvements
- Option for automatic parking brake - disabled by default
- New roads added: US-550 (NM), US-95 (AZ), US-191 (AZ), Clifton city (AZ) and I-580 Carson city bypass (NV)
- Remade and redesigned few places (e.g. I5-I80 interchange)
- Long 53ft trailers (40+ feet from kingpin to rear axle) are now forbidden in California
- Reopened California State Route 1 between Santa Cruz and Santa Maria after the cleanup of the Big Sur landslide.
- Added physically simulated power/air lines between truck and trailer(s)
- More realistic mirror rendering (head position-based FOV)
- New road through Yosemite National Park added in California (CA-120)
- New trailers (bottom dumpers)
- Job selection screens have new filter and cargo search elements
- Parking brake automatically ON after truck spawn (g_park_brake_init)
- Screenshot name format now based on date and time
- Increased precision trip data (dashboard computer display)
- Fixed torque converter locking
- Fixed damaged predefined trucks in dealers and quick jobs
- Fixed trailer damage reporting
- Fixed HDR interpolation
Updates for mod authors:
- New terrain brushes in the map editor
- Dropped support of very old maps (pre ver. 4.38)
- A trailer can be registered as standalone or not
- Variable shift length
- Truck dealer trucks are not in a single file/list anymore, the game reads all files/units in the given directory, making things friendlier for mods to coexist
- Steerable wheel independent on wheel model
- Dropped support for old attributes
- Code support for multi-torque engines
- Fixed generation of terrain when it is connected to terrain in unloaded sector
- AI will not use blinkers when canceling a lane change while it is in progress
- Fixed sleeping area triggers not being visible in UI map after initial game load
- Improved calculation of trailer weight distribution when lifting trailer axles
- Various editor fixes and improvements (stamps in content browser, support hiding of instanced geometry, collections, item performance info, searching, traffic tool)
- Cleanup of OpenGL support
- Fixed light sources in multi-time HQ screenshots
- Prevented crash if road is using a stamp whose material is missing
- Prevented crash when creating new board template in mod
- Updated localization
- Added 4 new roads and a new truck stop to the base map
- Improved the navigation system
- Added random road events
- Environmental lighting rebalance
- Two new trailers (food tank and mobile barrier)
- New road signs (like sign historic Route 66)
- Added time zone support
- 4 roads extensions for the DLC expansion of New Mexico
- reworked/new police cars (including strobe lights)
- Basic engine and transmission info in quick job truck tooltip.
- Trailers with state-specific legal restrictions are towed only to services in given states.
- AI traffic improvements
- Many many hundreds of small map bug fixes - visual glitches, and speed limits
Updates for mod authors:
- New interactive tool for environmental lighting and weather setting (included in the editor).
- New interactive tool for traffic behavior and rules debugging (included in the editor).
- New scene preview tool (included in the editor).
- New navigation parameters in map data.
- Assistance service parameters in economy data.
- Truck scale weight cost in economic data.
Synchronized version number with ETS2
- Added support for long combination vehicles - STAA doubles, Rocky Mountain doubles and triples (Rocky Mountain doubles and triples are currently available in Nevada)
- Added support for alternate background scenes in the main and options menus (More options will be added in the future)
- Closed California State Route 1 between Santa Cruz and Santa Maria to correspond with the Big Sur landslide. It will be reopened once the actual route has been reopened.
- Improved vehicle light flairs
- Added support for Auxiliary brakes system (engine brake and retarder in one control element)
- Fixed licence plates changing in states where no city formats exist
- Fixed brake vs parking brake behavior
- Fixed silent tire issue
- Improved retarder behavior (better cruise control behavior, no braking with throttle, icon when moving only)
- Added Steam Inventory support to allow for distributing rewards from upcoming World of Trucks events
- Added three more steering wheel designs into Steering Creations DLC
- Added achievements for DLC Heavy Cargo Pack
- Added support for articulated trailers (Multiple pivot points)
- Added more powerful engine options
- Added beacons
- Added lift axles to trailers
- Added differential locks to trucks
- Added weigh station weigh / bypass cabin accessory
- Added adaptive modes to automatic transmissions (power, normal or eco)
- Improved engine simulation model (friction, braking, consumption)
- Air pressure simulation improved (pressure buildup, cut-off sound, application pressure).
- Coin sounds tweaked.
- FOV range increased to 40-120 degrees.
- Engine brakes set to 3 positions (as most current trucks have). One-key-hold control will use full strength still.
- If engine brake toggle input is not assigned, increase/decrease engine brake inputs work similar to retarder (in range from 0 to maximum).
- Gas stations now have Multiple fueling points.
- g_force_economy_reset flag is disabled after economy reset.
- Transmission input shaft simulation (double clutch).
Updates for mod authors:
- Single "overrides" (forced default) rule can be used instead of defaults-suitable rule pair across linked accessories.
- All pressure units set consistently to bars (data, animation, dashboard UI).
- Nominal air_tank_pressure value added to chassis data.
- Changed interior animations: all air, oil and brake pressure (gauges, indicators).
- New interior animation: trailer axle lift (indicator), differential lock (button, indicator).
- New engine data: resistance_torque (measured at 2000rpm).
- Coin sound made moddable in the same way as other sounds (through ogg file).
- Map rescaled from 1:35 to 1:20 (Rescale trailer)
- Upgrade Shop and Truck Browser Search Tool
- New chassis options (6x2 & 6x2 Midlift)
- Driver field of view is now adjustable
- Weigh station UI updated to better represent weigh/bypass
- Truck repair/refuel costs for hired drivers now included in logs
- Added informational dialog on main menu showing when game detects upgrade or downgrade
- Added pounds + short tonnes as weight unit option
- Add possibility to buy driver and co-driver plate in truck dealer
- World of Trucks Contracts: Replaced refresh button with browse jobs
- Better trailer air pressure simulation
- Low air warning should only be active with running engine
- Parking brake mechanical safeguard on low air added
- Revised rolling resistance computations
- Hired drivers now use same math for fuel economy skill as the player
- Added selector modes to shift layout, correct detection of split shifts (advanced mode)
- Adaptive shifting logic improved
- Mod manager: Added link to load game screen in case game crashed and user has at least one mod activated
- Mod manager: Added possibility of setting profile by name and by user profile pointer
- Mod manager: Added dlc dependency list to mod manifest
- Prevent to AI trucks disappearing in players view
- Tweaked traffic spawn frequencies
- Added more AI vehicle models
- Updated freight train cars
Updates for mod authors:
- Changed map parameters (climate_profile, map_data)
- Moddable interior camera zoom parameters. (speed, factor)
- 1 degree rotation on Ctrl + R, 90 degree rotation on Home
- Merged editable sign and sign dialog
- Refresh sign template and its model from content browser
- Added letter-spacing to sign editor
- Store content browser navigation history
- Support for day/nigh effect switching and child hookups for lod_model_hookup_u
- Undo of veg sphere manipulation
- Alternate trailers are now available for some jobs
- Steering wheel position is now adjustable, and steering wheel models are now separate from the truck model.
- Added a new steering wheel model to each truck
- Added steering wheel knobs
- Added Customizable cabin lights and horns on all trucks.
- Added low air warning sound
- Cruise control is no longer disabled by throttle input.
- Added Interior camera zoom.
- Option to set preferred job length
- Option to set split shifting input
- More unit display options
Updates for mod authors:
- Separated map_data.sii from game_data.sii
- Look_presets_defaults in interior camera
- Change trailer looks to paint jobs.
- Added the state of Arizona.
- Added World of Trucks external contracts.
- Added advanced physically simulated truck and trailer coupling option.
- Trailer landing gear is now animated
- Blinker auto off can now be disabled
- Speeding highlight on the route adviser can now be disabled.
- Torque converter simulation greatly improved.
- Automatic transmission behavior improved.
- XInput support added - custom support for XBox controller.
- Added UI support for 4th and 5th controller.
- Gear shift selectors (range, split) now have UI support for position-based switches.
- New accessories added to Peterbilt 579 and Kenworth T680 (bullbars, deflectors, sideflares, etc).
- Default air horn added to all trucks.
- Added new air intake sound to the Kenworth W900.
- Interior sounds of all trucks rebalanced.
- US specific engine data.
- Extended highway 101 from San Rafael California to Eureka California
- Added the city of Ukiah to California.
- Added new vehicles to AI traffic.
- Added 4 new Steam achievements for Arizona.
Updates for mod authors:
- Damage params moved out from game_data.sii and some more added (including wear and part damage factors).
- Data driven engines (torque curve, rpm limits).
- Force feedback data for XInput added (force_feedback.sii).
- Torque converter physics data added, separated manual clutch data (physics.sii).
- Data change from driven wheel to driven axle.
- Added check for internal camera continuity.
- Added Steam Workshop support
- Wheels are now more customizable
- Navigation path (red line) can now be disabled
- Hidden Route Advisor popups can now be disabled
- Autopark feature can now be disabled
- Speeding is now highlighted in red on the Route Advisor
- Improved truck stability during retarder usage
- Cruise control can now activate the engine brake when no retarder is present
- Fixed retarder not deactivating if cruise control is deactivated while the retarder is in use
- Engine brake now has Multiple positions
- Keyboard steering improved
- Speed limits polished
- Speed limit signs enlarged
- Stop signs removed from traffic light controlled intersections
- Turn left traffic light added to some intersections
- Traffic lights on interstates removed (where possible)
- Certified scales are now working
- AI improvements
- 2 new Steam achievements for Nevada
- Added the Kenworth W900
- Fines are now dynamic (Start low and increase as the player levels)
- Improvements to fines for speeding (Player now has more time to adjust to a slower speed)
- Improvements to turning right on red